Renewables Reduced Carbon Emissions in Europe – EEA
The latest report of the European Environment Agency (EEA) shows that renewable energy sources have been an important driving force in reducing greenhouse gas emissions in Europe.
According to the report entitled “Renewable energy in Europe – approximated recent growth and knock-on effects”, greenhouse gas emissions would have been 7 % higher without renewables.
The report notes that the consumption of wind, solar, biomass and other renewable energy sources increased in all member states in 2013.
At the EU level, the share of renewables increased to 15 %, which is above the 12 % target, which had been set out by the Renewable Energy Directive.
The EU aims to generate 20 % of its energy from renewable sources by 2020, while this share is expected to increase to 55-75 % by 2050
The countries, where renewable energy constituted more than one third of final energy consumption were Sweden, Latvia, Finland and Austria.
Malta, Luxembourg, the Netherlands and the UK were at the opposite end, as there renewables made less than 5 % of final energy consumption.
In Bulgaria, renewable energy sources made 16.3 % of total energy consumption in 2012, increasing to 17.2 % in 2013.
The report also concludes that renewable technologies provide greater energy security.
EEA's Executive Director Hans Bruyninckx said that renewable energy was quickly becoming Europe's success story and if it developed further it could become a motor for economic growth.
Other factors, such as the policies and measures designed to reduce emissions and the improved energy efficiency, were also responsible for the reduction in greenhouse gas emissions.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » France has filled its Gas Storages to 100%
- » For the first Nine Months of 2022, St. Nikola Wind Farm generated 7% more Energy Y/Y
- » The Bulgarian-Greek Gas Connection was officially launched in Sofia (UPDATED)
- » Radev and Aliyev discussed Bulgarian Enterprises receiving Gas directly from Azerbaijan
- » Foreign Leaders will arrive in Bulgaria for the Opening Ceremony of the Interconnector with Greece
- » Europe is preparing for a Shut Down of Mobile Networks this Winter