Bulgaria PM Borisov: Energy Bills Issue 'Is Conspiracy against Govt'
Bulgarian Prime Minister Boyko Borisov has warned against a repetition of the "2013 scenario" when his first government was toppled by mass protest following hike in electricity bills.
Speaking after a cabinet meeting on Wednesday, Borisov argued the double readings of electric meters in the country's north-east, which resulted for 67 000 households in two separate electricity bills for a single period, was "no coincidence" at that time of the year.
He reminded that it was the Black Sea City of Varna, where most of the affected consumers live, that the protest movement against his first cabinet began in the winter of 2013, when people took to the streets to vent their disgruntlement by a substantial hike in their energy bills.
"In parallel, Face[book] groups in Varna are preparing a protest for February 1, and all the rest along with that. This looks absolutely intentional to me, again in Varna - absolutely the same scenario is being played out," Borisov told participants in the Council of Ministers session.
His previous government resigned on February 20, 2013, nearly five months ahead of schedule.
Earlier Energo-PRO, the electricity distribution company (EDC) operating in the north-east of Bulgaria where Varna lies, had told Energy Minister Temenuzhka Petkova that they had moved to send out two invoices to random households due to an insufficient number of book-keepers.
Borisov, however, insisted the EDC's move had been intentional.
On Monday Petkova said an inspection would be carried out at the EDCs following complaints from Energo-PRO customers.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Australia Ready to Supply Liquefied Natural Gas to Europe in there is Shortage of Russian Fuel
- » Natural Gas Prices Rise by 8% in Europe over Fears of Impending Ukraine-Russia Armed Conflict
- » American Tankers came and the Price of Gas in Europe fell Sharply
- » Bulgarian PM: There Won’t be any New Electricity Prices for Household Consumers
- » Bulgarian Expert: The Price of Gasoline can Reach BGN 3
- » Bulgaria: Will we reach the psychological barrier of BGN 3 per liter of gasoline and diesel