Mountain Rescuers Warn of Avalanches in Ski Resorts, Frostbite
There is real risk of freezing and avalanches in the mountains, Kamen Yakimov of the Mountain Rescue Service told the BNR public radio.
According to him, temperatures in the mountains would drop to -20°C on New Year's eve.
He also warned the risk of avalanches is high. “The snow cover is unstable – it is too cold and it cannot set and there are high winds,” he said. “On another hand, there are drifts sitting on frozen patches, which cane slide and start an avalanche. The fresh snow covered holes and other obstacles, which bring risk of injuries.”
Yakimov urged the tourists to stick to the areas around the chalets and avoid venturing into the higher parts.
According to the Focus wire service, quoting the Mountain Rescue Service, the risk of avalanches is extremely high in the Borovets ski resort, especially at the Markudzhik 3 piste and the entire Mussala circus.
In Bansko and on Vitosha the avalanche risk was lowered down a notch to medium.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Mostly Cloudy with Max. Temperatures Between 11°C and 16°C
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Significant Clouds with Max. Temperatures Between 7°C and 12°C
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Rain will Continue in some areas of the Country, Snow in the Mountains
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Increase in Clouds and Rain in the Afternoon. Temperatures: 10°C and 15°C
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Mostly Sunny with Max Temperatures Between 9°C and 14°C
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Windy and Cloudy with Max Temp Between 7°C and 12°C