2 Men Convicted for College Student Murder Go Missing before Imprisonment
Two of the three men convicted for the murder of 20-year-old Stoyan Baltov in 2008 have gone missing.
According to reports of the Legal World magazine, the authorities launched a nationwide search for the arrest of Vili Georgiev and Svetlozar Stoilov on December 23 and only Alexander Danailov was imprisoned.
On December 22, the Supreme Court of Cassation (VKS) upheld the 18-year prison terms of the three defendants in the case.
The three were also ordered to pay BGN 450 000 each to each of the parents of the murdered college student.
Alexander Danailov, Vili Georgiev, and Svetlozar Stoilov are to serve prison terms for brutally beating to death 20-year-old pharmacy student Stoyan Baltov on December 5, 2008 at around 3 am, in front of the "Amnesia" disco in Sofia's Studentski Grad (College Town) district.
The trial dragged on for 4 years, with the first court sitting held on July 3, 2010.
Following the ruling of VKS from December 22, prosecutors ordered the Security Guard of the Judicial Authority Bodies to take the three men to prison, but only Alexander Danailov was found at his address, while the two others had gone missing.
The prosecuting authority was informed about the matter and the authorities started a nationwide search for their arrest on the very same day.
- » BBC Investigation: Bulgarian Runs a Network for Fighting and Trading Dogs
- » More than 10 People were Detained in Operation by of GDBOP and National Security in Blagoevgrad
- » Masked and Armed Man Robbed a Bank Branch in Sofia
- » Bulgarian Authorities Shut Down 15 Websites Selling Fake Goods
- » Arrested Head of Work Capability Assessment Commission Remains in Custody
- » Third Skripal Suspect Linked to Poisoning in Bulgaria in 2015