Protesters Demand Resignation of Bulgaria's Finance Minister
A group of protesters gathered at an improvised rally in front of the National Assembly building in Sofia, demanding the resignation of Bulgaria's Finance Minister Vladislav Goranov.
The protest was sparked by the adamant intentions of Goranov to push through Parliament controversial amendments to the Social Insurance Act that would require employees to transfer their pension contributions paid into privately-owned pension funds to the state-run solidarity insurance fund NOI in a one-off move without an option to switch back.
Throughout Friday information about the intentions of GERB party, the bigger partner in Bulgaria's minority coalition government which has proposed the changes, has been contradictory.
At first GERB said they were going to postpone the voting of the draft amendments until March next year. Later, however, Goranov said the voting at second and final reading will take place on Friday, as initially planned.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: A Woman and a Child Died in a Traffic Accident on the Trakia Highway
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 1429 New Cases in the Last 24 hours
- » Bulgaria: There are 34 Active Fires in the Country, the Situation in Most Places is Under Control
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 1,636 New Cases in the Last 24 hours
- » The Extinguishing of Fires all over Bulgaria Continues - “Maritsa” Highway will be Closed
- » Bulgaria: No more Masks in Some Places - See Where they Remain Mandatory