Towns, Villages in SE Bulgaria Ready for Evacuation due to Flooding
The Mayor of the southeastern Bulgarian town of Elhovo, Petar Kirov, has urged locals to prepare for evacuation as the water level of the Tundzha River nears the critical level.
The water column exceeds 3.9 meters, the critical level being 4 meters, according to reports of the BGNES news agency.
Kirov made clear that over 100 households living in the lowest parts of Elhovo faced the threat of floods.
A critical water level is expected in the nighttime and the early hours of December 6.
In Yambol, the water level of the Tundzha River has increased by 7 centimeters since morning, reaching 4.73 meters, against a critical threshold of 6 meters.
Meanwhile, the authorities have declared emergency situation due to flooding at the municipalities of Radnevo and Galabovo, Stara Zagora district.
Speaking in Stara Zagora, Bulgaria’s Regional Development Minister Lilyana Pavlova predicted that the situation in the area would become more complicated over the next two days as the forecast indicated more rainfall.
Pavlova, as cited by the Bulgarian National Radio, noted that the Koprinka and Zhrebchevo dams were in critical condition.
The mayors of five villages in the Sliven district, including Binkos, Mechkarevo, Samuilovo, Krushare, and Zhelyo Voyvoda, have indicated their readiness to organize the evacuation of the locals.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Cloudy with Rain today
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Code Yellow for significant Thunderstorms and Hail Conditions in 5 areas
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Fog, Sun, Rain and Thunder today
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Warmer with possibility of Rain Showers
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Sunny with Afternoon Rain Showers
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Rain and Thunder, Hail is also Possible