Bulgarian Children Third in Minor Smokers Chart
Politics | November 22, 2002, Friday // 00:00| Views: | Comments: 0
Bulgarian children rank third in the grim chart of underage smokers. Only Chilean and Ukrainian youngsters smoke more, a global survey conducted by the World Health Organization and UNICEF shows. The data was published in Bulgaria on November 21 - the World No-Tobacco Day. Dr. Antoaneta Manolova, coordinator of the survey, announced the data from Bulgaria. In May, 2,220 school children from eighth to tenth grade across the country filled out a special questionnaire. In chart leader Chili, 79.8 percent of children use tobacco while Bulgaria registered 69.1 percent of underage smokers. The average percentage of all surveyed countries was estimated to 33. Half of the polled girls in Bulgaria tried tobacco for the first time before reaching thirteen. 7.4 of the boys first lit a cigarette under the age of seven. According to the survey, 71 percent of addicted children failed when trying to quit smoking. Bulgaria ranks third in the chart of overall tobacco consumption after Greece and Japan, another survey showed.Politics » Be a reporter: Write and send your article Expats.bg All Are Welcome! Join Now!
- » New Camel at the Sofia Zoo
- » Germany Pockets EUR 2.9 Billion from Greece Bailouts
- » Stoltenberg Expects Macedonia to be Invited to NATO in Early July
- » The Netherlands Gave the Green Light for Macedonia's Talks with the EU, but are Expected to Veto Negotiations with Albania
- » Fire Rescue Operation Training was Carried out in Burgas Port
- » Over BGN 50 Million Needed for the Repair the Bulgarian Army's Helicopters
Please, log in to post a comment.
» To the forumComments (0)