Archaeologists Uncover Veliki Preslav's Eastern Gate
The team of archaeologist Georgi Maystorski uncovered the eastern gate of Veliki Preslav - the second capital of the First Bulgarian Kingdom, reports the BTA wire service.
After four years of research, Maystorski and his team found proof and precise parameters of the defence installation.
“This is the most important discovery in Veliki Preslav in years,” Maystorski said. “Until now there was only guesswork about the existence of the eastern gate.”
He added that he and his team found out the gate was on the road to Constantinople and was standing over a river, which ran across the city. After Veliki Preslav stopped being a capital, the wall and gate were not maintained and were destroyed by the river.
The surrounding area was drained and flattened by the local population, which continued using the road.
“I think the praise must go to the Archaeological museum of Veliki Preslav, which provided the funding for the excavations and my team who helped me find the eastern gate,” Maystorski said.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Ancient City over 3,000 Years Old Discovered in Egypt
- » Bulgarian Archaeologists Unearth Another Medieval Settlement
- » Fossil Experts: Early People Hibernated to Survive Harsh Winters
- » Bulgaria: Remarkable Roman Villa Discovered Near Dolna Kremena Village
- » Roman Furnace Almost 1,500 Years Old Unearthed in Bulgaria
- » Turkey: Mosaic Mural Featuring Mysterious Lady Resembles Leonardo da Vinci’s Masterpiece