Varna Court Asked to Extradite Convicted Drug Smuggler to Germany
The Varna District Court has arrested German national Maxim Schmidt under a European Arrest Warrant (EAW) issued by the prosecuting authority in Aachen.
The 37-year-old German national is wanted in Germany to serve a prison sentence issued by the regional court of Aachen for smuggling heroin.
The prison term of a year and a half was imposed for offences committed in 2006.
8 years ago, Maxim Schmidt smuggled heroin from the Netherlands into Germany several times.
According to the German authorities, Schmidt initially smuggled heroin on his own, but at some point he was assisted by an accomplice.
The sentence entered into force in 2007.
The authorities in Germany demand that the man serve the rest of the penalty of 281 days of imprisonment.
He was arrested in Varna on October 20, 2014.
On Thursday, the German national told the court that he was staying in Bulgaria to receive treatment at a specialized addiction treatment center near Varna.
The Varna District Court ordered him to be remanded in custody in the Varna prison.
Maxim Schmidt will remain in the Varna prison until the next court sitting, when a different judge panel of the Varna District Court will review the extradition request of the German authorities.
On Thursday, the Varna District Court ruled that the EAW contained all of the mandatory elements listed in the Extradition Act and the European Arrest Warrant Act.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Six People Are Accused of Tax Crimes in the Trade of Imported Drugs
- » Cat Smuggled Heroin into Prison in Sri Lanka And When Detained - Escapes
- » Alleged Gang Sexual Assault in a 5-Star Hotel in Egypt
- » 9 People Involved in a Criminal Group for Illegal Extraction and Sale of Wood Have Been Detained
- » 29-year-old Man Shot Near Sofia After a Car Race
- » 40 kg of Radioactive Blueberries From Chernobyl Were Seized by Ukrainian Border Patrol