Ukraine-EU Association Agreement to Be Enforced in 2016
EU states' foreign ministers have given the green light to an arrangement between Russia and the EU under which integration with Ukraine will be postponed for a year.
The economic part of an Association Agreement (AA) signed with Kiev earlier this year and adopted September will not enter into force before January 1, 2016, the Bulgarian National Radio's correspondent has reported from Brussels.
This conforms to an agreement between with Moscow, which demanded the delay in order to secure more time and explore options to tackle the problems in trade and economy posed by the AA.
It comes against the backdrop of Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko's remarks that the AA will be fully applied in November, with Moscow vehemently protesting and threatening to retaliate if Europe does not put off the implementation.
The General Affairs Council, which brings together top diplomats from member states, has however approved the introduction of the document's other parts from as early as November 1 this year.
Closer integration with the EU in justice, security, civil liberties, fight against crime and corruption is envisaged in the AA.
Last year's refusal of then-President Viktor Yanukovych to sign the agreement opened the floodgates of a huge protest wave in Ukraine's capital Kiev and a number of towns and cities later followed by episodes of unrest ultimately leading to the fall of Yanukovych and the soaring of relations with Russia, including the breakaway of Crimea and the violence in the Donbass.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » The Countries for Collective Purchase of Ammunition are Now 24 - Bulgaria is Not Among Them
- » Day 397 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Kyiv wants Emergency UN Meeting over Putin’s Nuclear Plans
- » Day 396 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Russia will deploy Tactical Nukes in Belarus
- » Day 395 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Moscow’s Advance in Bakhmut is Slowing Down
- » Day 394 of the Invasion of Ukraine: The West must Prepare for a Long War, according to NATO Chief
- » Day 393 of the Invasion of Ukraine: At Least 14 Dead after Russian Strikes on Civillian Infrastructure