Annual Revenues from Illegal Logging in Bulgaria at BGN 100 M - WWF
Revenues from illegal logging in Bulgaria amount to over BGN 100 M a year, according to a report of the World Wildlife Fund (WWF).
The WWF is to present a report on the matter Wednesday spanning the past 8 years.
Bulgaria has registered little progress in the fight against illegal logging over the past decade, with statistics showing that the annual amount of illegal tree felling reaches 2.4 million cubic meters, compared to a rate of 3.7 million cubic meters in 2005, according to the WWF, as cited by the Bulgarian National Radio.
However, the data is far from reassuring because illegal tree felling accounts for ? of the total output and generates hidden revenues of around BGN 100 M.
The WWF will present Wednesday various illegal logging schemes and concrete proposals for curbing the grey sector.
The debate is to bring together experts from non-governmental organizations and representatives of the government and forest enterprises.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Weather Today: Rain Showers over Eastern Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria: Light Rain in Some Places Today
- » Scientists: Last Summer was the Hottest in Europe
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Light Rains in the South and Maximum Temperatures between 20° and 25°C
- » Windy and Cloudy Tuesday in Bulgaria
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Windy with Variable Clouds Today