US, Ukraine to Hold Naval Drills in Black Sea
Twelve warships from NATO and other countries are to stage naval exercises, known as Sea Breeze, in the Black Sea.
Hosted by Ukraine, the drills are led by the US.
The maneuvers are held on an annual basis (and have been since 1997) and are not related to the developments in Ukraine and its standoff with Russia.
However, they follow a number of US gestures showing support for Kiev in the conflict.
Alongside a number of NATO countries, namely Canada, Romania, Spain, Turkey and the US, Ukraine has also deployed vessels, according to Ukraine's news agency UNIAN.
Georgia, Norway, Sweden and France have sent observers.
US destroyer USS Ross, which entered the Black Sea last week, will be part of the exercise.
The Sea Breeze drills were to be held in July, when they are usually scheduled, but were postponed.
According to the US European Command, "much of the exercise will focus on maritime interdiction operations as a primary means to enhance maritime security".
The drills will continue from September 8 to 9.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgarian Defense Minister: The Suggestions from the Dutch that you can Cross the Border for 50 Euros are Offensive
- » The List of Weapons that Bulgaria will provide to Ukraine is ready
- » Lockheed Martin: The first Bulgarian F-16 Fighter jet is already being Assembled
- » The Most Cyberattacks against Bulgaria come from Russia
- » The Bulgarian Parliament ratified the Contract for the Acquisition of 8 more F-16 Fighter Jets
- » President Radev: Bulgaria actively participates in all NATO exercises in the Black Sea Region