WWF Launches River Conservation Campaign in Bulgaria
The international environmental organization WWF launches a national campaign for the conservation of rivers in Bulgaria.
"The number of natural rivers left in Bulgaria is insignificant. We take river resources for granted, but we do not realize that they are almost exhausted," said Ivan Hristov, head of the Water program at WWF, as cited by Nova Tv.
"Every year we witness increasingly devastating floods due to the narrowing of rivers and the outdated, dangerous infrastructure around them," Hristov added.
Straightening river beds, placing embankments and meander cutoffs speed up the river current. This in turn accelerates the erosion of the river beds and alters the natural balance.
Sand and gravel digging from rivers for construction purposes has devastating consequences not only for the ecosystem of the river, but for the inland, as well.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Rain Over Western Bulgaria, Sunny on the Seaside
- » Bulgaria: Second Earthquake for the Day
- » 3-Magnitute Earthquake Near Smolyan, Bulgaria
- » Orange Code for Hot Weather in 7 Districts in Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria: 48 Settlements Without Water, 28 Cows Die After Drinking Water from Maritsa's River
- » Weather in Bulgaria July 28: Sunny and Warm