Over 15 000 Russians Stranded in Greece over Bankrupt Tour Operator
Over 15 000 Russian tourists have been stranded in Greece due to the bankruptcy of Russian tour operator Labirint.
Labirint, a major player on the market, declared bankruptcy on Saturday.
The Greek government is in talks with Russian authorities to find a way out of the predicament, according to reports of the Bulgarian National Radio, based on local media.
The Ministry of Tourism has assured hoteliers in Greece that the expenses for the Russian tourists will be covered with a possible delay of several months.
The largest groups of customers of the bankrupt company are on the islands of Rhodes, Corfu, and Crete.
On Sunday night, hundreds of Russian tourists on the Rhodes Island, who were in the dark up until the last moment about their return flight, were carried home by another airline.
Hotel owners who have bookings for August and September by the bankrupt tour operator have expressed concern about the end of the season, adding that they may be forced to offer last-minute bookings at lower prices.
Greece's Tourism Ministry voiced worries that the financial problems of the Russian tour operators would have a negative impact on tourist arrivals from Russia.
In 2014, the number of Russians who booked holidays in Greece doubled from 2013.
Over 2 million Russian citizens have spent their holidays in Greece so far and as many are expected to do so over the next two months.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » The European Commission urges Bulgaria to Reduce Air Pollution
- » Nehammer: The EU should Finance the Construction of a Fence along the Bulgarian-Turkish Border
- » Zelensky is Not Interested in Meeting Putin for Peace Talks
- » Attacks on Several Churches in Southern Spain, there are Killed and Injured
- » Day 337 of the Invasion of Ukraine: US Sends 31 M1 Abrams, Germany Sends 14 Leopards, The Tank Coalition Grows (UPDATED)
- » Meta to reinstate the Accounts of Donald Trump on Facebook and Instagram