30 Migrants Suffocate to Death on Mediterranean Boat
Around 30 migrants have been found dead on a boat in the Mediterranean Sea, between Sicily and the North African coast.
The fishing boat had been overcrowded, with some 600 people on board. The cause of the deaths is most likely asphyxiation from being crammed into a compartment below the decks, the BBC revealed.
The rest of the migrants on the boat have been rescued by the Italian navy, taking their count to 1,600 for the weekend alone. Officials say that these high figures are due to the ongoing political instability in Libya.
Italy faces constant challenges to receive thousands of migrants entering illegally on boats. Over 300 people died when a boat capsized off the coast of Lampedusa last October, raising alarm throughout the European Union. Rome called for increased support and a common EU immigration policy.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Croatian President: We stole Kosovo from Serbia, Crimea will never be Ukraine
- » Washington suspends Export Licenses for Huawei
- » The US Warned of the Danger of "Imminent" Terror Attacks in Istanbul
- » The Embassy of Azerbaijan in Iran Suspends its Work
- » Dozens Killed and Injured after an Explosion in a Pakistani Mosque
- » A Greek Fighter Jet has Crashed in the Ionian Sea, the Two Pilots are Missing