US Military on Standby Around Iraq
US forces are ready on standby in the Gulf, as the situation in Iraq continues to deteriorate.
An aircraft carrier and five warships are already in the Persian Gulf, according to CNN. Dozens of helicopters are also prepared to patrol the area.
Sunni insurgents from the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) have been moving close to the capital Baghdad, after capturing the northern and central cities of Mosul and Tikrit.
Last week, US President Barack Obama said he does not rule out military action in the region, and even cooperation with Iran on fighting the insurgency.
"We are open to discussions if there's something constructive that can be contributed by Iran, if Iran is prepared to do something that is going to respect the integrity and sovereignty of Iraq and the ability of the government to reform", US Secretary of State John Kerry said in a televised speech.
President Obama has already ordered the deployment of some 275 troops to protect the US embassy in Baghdad, Euronews revealed.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Roberta Metsola on Bulgaria’s Schengen membership: Expect a Positive Decision
- » UN Head warned of the Start of a New Nuclear Arms Race, calling it "Complete Madness”
- » The Dead after the Explosion in a Fuel Warehouse in Nagorno-Karabakh are 125 people
- » Romania to buy 32 new F-35 Fighter Jets
- » Day 580 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Russia hits Izmail
- » More than 200 people were Injured in an Explosion at a Gas Station in Nagorno-Karabakh