Int'l Police Operation Busts Bulgarian Credit Card Fraud Ring
Three people were arrested in Italy and four in Bulgaria in an operation aimed at intercepting a Bulgarian credit card fraud ring, according to Europol.
The arrests of the seven suspects last week were the result of an investigation of over one year.
A total of 25 persons involved in the scam were arrested with an additional 21 persons detained and charged.
The authorities confiscated 250 skimming devices, 2000 blank credit cards and more than EUR 50 000 in cash.
The operation was coordinated by the Comando Carabinieri Antifalsificazione Monetaria with the support of the Cybercrime department of the Bulgarian State Agency for National Security.
The criminals committed fraudulent withdrawals in Indonesia, the USA, Bali, the Dominican Republic and Kenya, , according to a media statement of Europol.
Europol played a key role in the investigation by deploying on-the-spot specialists from the European Cybercrime Centre (EC3)'s Operation Terminal to assist with in depth analysis of itemised phone bills and hard disk drives linked to the criminal gang.
In addition, three operational meetings were organised to plan arrests relating to the key individuals within the organisation- an objective which was achieved with much success as the entire gang was dismantled.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Begging and Prostitution are No Longer Crimes in Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria: 1-year-old Child is in Coma after being Beaten in Plovdiv
- » Bulgaria: Mother and Son were found Dead in Kyustendil
- » Bulgaria: A Municipal Councilor in Velingrad was Murdered (UPDATED)
- » Bulgaria: Two People Killed in a Fight between Families in Nova Zagora
- » The 15-year-old Bus Driver who Killed the Policemen may Receive up to 10 Years in Prison