Thousands of Romanians Protest Against Chevron Fracking Plans
Thousands of people have taken to the streets of Romania in a protest against plans by US energy giant Chevron to drill for shale gas, Sunday.
"Hydraulic fractures never heal," the protesters claimed regarding the drilling method used to unlock shale gas, Balkans.com reported.
The coordinated anti-fracking protests were held in nearly 60 Romanian cities and called for a ban on hydraulic fracturing, respecting the will of local communities and transparent decision making.
Chevron which was granted exploration permits in Northeastern and Southeastern Romania has rejected accusations of shale gas opponents and has assured its compliance with environmental regulations.
Despite local opposition, the company has started to build its first exploration well in the village of Pungesti.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Day 467 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Kyiv claims Ignorance of a possible Counteroffensive
- » Serbia: 68,000 Weapons were Handed Over to authorities
- » OPEC+ will continue Oil Output Cuts as Prices remain Unchanged
- » A Faulty Switch may have caused India's Deadliest Train Crash
- » Day 466 of the Invasion of Ukraine: At least 20 Injured after Russian Attack in Dnipro
- » The VP of the European Parliament: Bulgaria has done its Homework for Schengen