Thousands of Romanians Protest Against Chevron Fracking Plans
Thousands of people have taken to the streets of Romania in a protest against plans by US energy giant Chevron to drill for shale gas, Sunday.
"Hydraulic fractures never heal," the protesters claimed regarding the drilling method used to unlock shale gas, Balkans.com reported.
The coordinated anti-fracking protests were held in nearly 60 Romanian cities and called for a ban on hydraulic fracturing, respecting the will of local communities and transparent decision making.
Chevron which was granted exploration permits in Northeastern and Southeastern Romania has rejected accusations of shale gas opponents and has assured its compliance with environmental regulations.
Despite local opposition, the company has started to build its first exploration well in the village of Pungesti.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Turkey is preparing to take command of NATO forces in Kosovo
- » The Eurozone was in Recession in the First Quarter of 2023
- » Four Young Children have been Injured after a Knife Attack in a Town in the French Alps
- » Day 470 of the Invasion of Ukraine: US claims Russia is Responsible for Blowing Up the Kakhovka Dam
- » Due to the Severe Forest Fires in Canada - Authorities are giving out Free Masks in New York
- » 2024: The EU will Run out of Money for Ukraine