EU Commissioner: EC Will Not Impose Funding Freeze on Bulgaria
The EC cannot take steps to stop payments to Bulgaria on the basis of the cooperation and verification mechanism (CVM), according to Algirdas Semeta.
"I should just say that the CVM mechanism is not directly related to the spending of EU funding. This means that we cannot take steps such as freezing payments on the basis of the findings in the CVM report," said Semeta, European Commissioner for Taxation, Customs Union, Audit and Anti-Fraud, commenting on the recommendation of the European Parliament issued on Thursday that the allocation of EU funding to Bulgaria and Romania be reconsidered.
He added that the European Commission would keep working with Bulgarian authorities to strengthen the oversight and management of EU funding.
Semeta, as cited by the Bulgarian National Radio (BNR), noted that EU Commissioner for Regional Policy, Johannes Hahn would visit Bulgaria soon to attend a seminar on the topic.
He explained that this was how the EC saw its next steps for improving the spending of EU funding in Bulgaria.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » EC is Preparing Criminal Proceedings against Bulgaria for Accessing Data from Criminal Record Certificates
- » The European Commission Started an Evaluation of the Bulgarian Recovery Plan
- » Nearly 60% of Bulgarians are Skeptical about Adopting the Euro
- » Bulgaria Is Late to Explain Its Position on N.Macedonia Says Diplomat
- » New German Government and Old Bulgarian "bad boy" Borissov
- » EC Opens Infringement Proceedings against 19 EU Member States, Including Bulgaria