5.1 Earthquake Jolts California, Possible Aftershocks
An earthquake of magnitude 5.1 on the Richter scale has shaken Southern California on Friday evening.
There are no reported major damages, though several residents suffered slight injuries from falling objects, according to the Los Angeles Times. The epicenter of the tremor was in Orange County, one mile east of La Habra, and in close proximity to Los Angeles.
"It just would not stop, it was like an eternity," said Castillo, an 18-year-old La Habra resident.
The quake struck at 9.09 pm local time, while a smaller 3.6 tremor was recorded an hour before that. A number of households in Brea county and La Habra evacuated themselves quickly.
"There could be even a larger earthquake in the next few hours or the next few days", seismologist Lucy Jones commented.
The state of California is prone to earthquakes, with a 6.9 magnitude one leaving 63 people dead in 1989.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Weather in Bulgaria, July 2: Sunny and Warm, Temperatures Up to 35 Degrees
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Mostly Sunny with Temperatures Up to 36 Degrees on July 1
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Mostly Sunny and Warm with Temperatures up to 36 Degrees
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Summer Heat at the Beginning of the Week
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Sunny and Warm Sunday
- » Bulgaria Weather: Heat up to 35 degrees in the Coming Days