John Kerry to Meet Sergei Lavrov Ahead of Crimea Referendum
US Secretary of State John Kerry will meet with Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov on Friday in London to discuss the situation in Crimea.
The meeting will be a last attempt to bring the conflicting sides closer, ahead of Sunday's referendum on the future status of the autonomous Ukrainian peninsula, Euronews reports.
The United States and the European Union have claimed they would not recognize the referendum, which is all but set to rule in favor of Crimea joining the Russian Federation. They have also warned Russia to pull back its troops from Crimea or risk economic and political sanctions.
Meanwhile, Moscow continues to accuse the West of supporting a "coup" in Ukraine and installing an illegitimate government.
So far, diplomatic talks have not yielded much positive results.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Analysis: Putin’s War and Beyond
- » The EC approved Bulgaria to Receive over BGN 32 Billion (EUR 16.4) for 7 years
- » Von der Leyen: Europe should prepare to Stop Gas Supplies from Russia
- » Erdogan: We are Close to a Deal for the Transport of Grain through the Black Sea
- » Boris Johnson is Fighting for his Political Survival
- » Dutch PM: If North Macedonia does not accept the French Proposal, Albania is Moving Forward Alone