Bulgaria Has Formally Completed US Conditions For Visa Removal
Bulgaria has formally fulfilled the last requirement for the removal of US visas for Bulgarian citizens.
The draft intergovernmental agreement between Bulgaria and US on exchanging information on targeted terrorism surveillance, approved by Bulgaria's government on Wednesday, creates a legal framework for bilateral exchange of information with a view to preventing terrorism.
The agreement is part of the preparations for Bulgaria's inclusion in the US Visa Waiver Program (VWP).
The formal completion of the requirements, however, does not mean that the US visa requirement for Bulgarian citizens will be removed soon. According to publications in Bulgarian-language media, there is another obstacle – the share of visa refusals must go below 3% for the preceding fiscal year. Currently it is 19%.
In February Bulgaria asked the European Commission (EC) for support because of the lack of visa reciprocity between Bulgaria and the US, Canada and Australia.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Foreign Minister: Joining the OECD is Bulgaria's most Serious Integration Effort after the EU and NATO
- » Russian Senator: Bulgaria should Freeze because it is an Unfriendly Country
- » Bulgaria Suspends Visas for Russians with Property in Bulgaria and for Tourists from Russia
- » Russia Expelled 14 Bulgarian Diplomats
- » The Russian Ambassador expressed Hope that things will Change in Bulgaria
- » US Ambassador: Politicians in Bulgaria take advantage of Russian Propaganda for short-term Benefits