Bulgarian Farmers to Get BGN 20 000 'If They Work Together'
Bulgarian agricultural producers will receive assistance worth BGN 20 000 if they work in conjunction on gathering crops and market placement.
In an interview for Bulgarian National Television, Agriculture Minister Dimitar Grekov presented new policies in the field, also involving programs to make developments in different aspects of life in rural areas.
Direct payments to small farms are also envisaged and they are expected to amount between EUR 500 and 1250. According to the Minister, the aid will help them increase their competitiveness and transform into medium-scale producers.
Subsidies by the government can also prevent the depopulation of Bulgarian villages, which has been ongoing for years.
Grekov denied that the measures, which were previously announced by the ethnic Turkish Movement of Rights and Freedoms (DPS) at Monday's meeting of ruling parties with media representatives, could have anything to do with electioneering for the upcoming EU vote and keeping the support of the mainly agricultural DPS voters.
He also asserted that grants would be distributed regardless of the location and type of crops that are being grown.
A total of 85 000 small farms (comprising 23% f the agricultural sector) are located across Bulgaria. Only few of them have access to grants, which are mostly distributed among 6% of the producers. As a result, small farming units have dwindled by 40% in a few years' time.
- » The French President Macron is on an Official Visit to Russia
- » Bulgarian PM Borisov will go on a Visit with Pope Francis
- » Counter Campaign: Publishing House Asks if we Value Gambling more than Culture (Video)
- » On 24 May Balchik Opens a Monument to Cyril and Methodius
- » Celebrations, Processions, Concerts and Awards on the Day of Slavonic Scripture
- » Happy National Holiday of Bulgaria! The Day of the Cyrillic Letters and the Culture