Faux-Lesbian Duo tATu to Perform at Sochi Opener
Russian faux-lesbian pop duo tATu will perform at the opening ceremony of the Sochi Olympics, according to reports.
The reports come as a surprise given that much of the pre-Games press coverage has focused on Russia's recently-introduced controversial law banning anything that may be construed as”propaganda” of homosexuality.
Rumors that tATu would feature at the Fisht Olympic Stadium were reported by R-Sport last month, when signer Lena Katina wrote and the swiftly deleted a tweet that read: “They’ve invited us to appear at the opening of the Olympics in Sochi."
She also described the organization of the event as a "nightmare,” according to RIA Novosti.
Commenting on their appearance at show, its creative director Konstantin Ernst said the duo's role would be a bit-part at best.
"tATu are performing at the pre-show, where various popular artists will be on show," Ernst said. " tATu is one of the few groups that is world famous, although most of the ceremony is built upon classical and symphonic music," Ernst said, as cited by RIA Novosti.
- » PM Borisov Proposes Closing all Borders in the EU
- » Academic from the United States Suggests Tsipras and Zaev for Nobel for Peace
- » 30 Foreigners Detained in Turkey in an Operation against Islamic State
- » Dozens of Taliban, Afghan Forces Killed while Celebrating Eid Truce
- » Fight against Human Trafficking in Libya: EU Sanctions Six Human Traffickers and Smugglers in line with UN Decision
- » India Faces Worst ever Water Crisis