EC Denies Alleged Ultimatum on US Visas for Bulgarians
The European Commission (EC) denied the media reports on the planned introduction of visas for US citizens, unless the US lifted the visas for the citizens of several EU states.
Michele Cercone, spokesperson of the European Commissioner Cecilia Malmstrom said that by February 9 the EU member states can inform the EC on the lack of reciprocity in the US visa policies.
"We are trying to achieve an efficient solution of the problem to the best of our abilities", Cercone said. "But if you're asking if the EC will automatically and immediately introduce a visa regime for the US citizens, the answer is no."
Earlier this week the EurActiv website reported that the EC has warned the US of the potential introduction of visas for US diplomats, unless the US didn't lift visas for citizens of Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Poland and Romania.
- » Euractiv: Bulgaria to Launch Joint Application to Euro Waiting Room and Banking Union
- » Minister Kralev: We should use New Technologies to Show the Beauty of Sport and to Motivate for Physical Activity
- » Improving Security through Information Sharing: Council Agrees Negotiating Mandate on Interoperability
- » Deputy Minister of Defence Atanas Zapryanov Opened an International Scientific Conference on Cybersecurity and Cyber Defence
- » Screening of Investments: Council Agrees its Negotiating Stance
- » Audiovisual Media Services: Agreement on a Directive to Protect Minors, Boost Competitiveness and Promote European Content