Romania Envoy on Migrants: Clear Gap between Forecasts, Reality
Romania's ambassador in Britain has confirmed the number of migrants coming to the country has seen no increase since work curbs were lifted.
"The Consular department of our Embassy has not registered an increase in the number of services required by Romanian nationals last month, compared to the same period of 2013," he told HuffPost UK.
Jinga confirmed that he could not know for certain how many of his countrymen had come to the UK in January until official figures come out in May.
But he was highly critical of the huge variety of estimates put forward, saying: "it is a huge field open to speculations exploited by tabloid media and xenophobic politicians."
Jinga went on: "The media shapes public opinion and, as we can see, it is a clear gap between predictions, perception and reality when speaking about the immigration of Romanians to the UK."
Last week David Cameron said the numbers coming over looked "reasonable".
The Home Office said it was not making projections at this stage.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » European Commission: EUR 9.218 Billions Grants for Bulgaria, Italy and Spain on Top of the Table
- » Doubts Remain over Readiness of Bulgaria, Croatia and Romania for Schengen
- » EC: Bulgaria is the Only Country that Meets the Criterion for the EU Budget Deficit
- » Bulgaria Marks Europe Day
- » The Juncker Plan Will Provide Financial Assistance of BGN 10 million For 320 Micro-Enterprises in Bulgaria
- » EP Supports Accession Talks with Albania and Northern Macedonia