US Said to Mull Sanctions against Ukraine
The US is preparing sanctions against Ukrainian officials and protest leaders if violence escalates in the country, according to a report.
Reuters has cited congressional aides as saying they had discussed the sanction preparations with administration officials.
The congressional aides said final details of the package have not been worked out, but it could be put in place quickly against government officials - or leaders of the protest movement - in case of widespread violence.
On Wednesday, the Ukrainian parliament passed a law giving amnesty to those participating in massive street protests. The pardon is conditional on people's withdrawal from protest rallies, including in recently occupied administrative and government buildings.
Opposition politicians Thursday rejected the initiative, describing it as an attempt to undermine their cause.
- » Russia and the UK are Running out of Beer because of the World Cup
- » The Bulgarian Presidency Drives the Debate on the Need to Further Promote Inclusive Education in Europe
- » Transparent and Predictable Working Conditions: Council Reaches General Approach
- » Eurogroup Statement on the Occasion of its 20th Anniversary
- » Easier Access to Professions: Council Adopts New Measures
- » Posting of Workers: Council Adopts the Directive