Ex-Right-Wing President Backs Party of Bulgarian TV Host
Former Bulgarian right-wing President, Petar Stoyanov (1997 – 2002) voiced support for one of the country's newest and most debated parties – Bulgaria without Censorship.
The populist party of controversial ex-TV director, host and journalist Nikolay Barekov was officially launched over the weekend in Sofia.
Speaking in a TV interview, Stoyanov, to the surprise of many, backed Barekov's ideas regarding consumers, local and regional issues and SMEs.
The ex-President underscored that he was not a member of the party, but liked its pledges and ideas such as how to tackle the demographic crisis, because they were absolutely adequate and no other party leader talked about them.
He called on all Bulgarians to give the "young party" a chance to deliver its program and to prove that its messages are not pure populism.
Stoyanov criticized another new formation, the right-wing Reformist Bloc, which includes his own party that he led in the past – the Union of Democratic Forces (UDF) – mainly for their "confused" attitude towards the formerly-ruling center-right Citizens for European Development of Bulgaria (GERB) and its leader, former Prime Minister Boyko Borisov.
He said this was further perplexing the "poor right-wing voter."
Meanwhile, Stoyanov rejected rumors that he was the person behind the surprising attendance of retired US General Wesley Clark at the founding Congress of Barekov's party.
The former President, however, did not deny knowing the General well, but said he has not spoken to him since December.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Kiril Petkov on his Citizenship: I Do Not Feel Any Guilt
- » General Mutafchiiski with Special Award from Jewish Community in Bulgaria
- » Bulgarian Road Constuctors Mount yet Another Protest
- » Bulgaria: Prices Will Rise More Steeply than Expected - Finance Ministry
- » Three Foreigners Arrested in Bulgaria for Trading Info from Arsenal military plant
- » Caretaker Government Required State-owned Companies to Pay Dividend