4.8-Earthquake Hits Romania's Vrancea, Felt in Bucharest Too
A 4.8-magnitude earthquake struck Romania on Thursday, though no victims or casualties were reported, the National Institute for Earth Physics said.
The epicentre of the earthquake, which struck at 8:15 local time, was in the Vrancea region, in the east of Romania, some 380 km northeast of Bulgaria's capital Sofia.
The quake struck at a depth of 140 kilometres and tremors were felt in the capital Bucharest.
Romania is one of the most earthquake-prone countries in Europe, with its Vrancea region lying at the intersection of three tectonic plates.
In 1977, a 7.2-magnitude earthquake struck Vrancea and left more than 1,500 people dead.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Mostly Sunny with Max Temp Between 17°-22°C
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Sunny with Max Temp Between 16°-21°C
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Few Clouds and Mostly Sunny Today with Max Temp 15°-20°C
- » Weather in Bulgaria: A Decrease of Clouds and Rain with Max Temp Between 13°-18°C
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Cloudy with Rain in Some Places, Max Temp 11°-16° C
- » Bulgaria: Caps for the Future Charity Initiative Begins this Weekend