FM: Iran Will Participate in Geneva-2 Under No Preconditions
Iran will participate in the Geneva-2 peace conference on Syria provided there are no preconditions, Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif stated.
"If invited to the conference, as well as other participants, Iran will take part in the event. However, we will not participate if preconditions for participation are put forward against us. Out of a sense of dignity and honour for our country, we do not accept any preconditions for our participation," Zarif said after talks with Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov in Moscow, Thursday.
A split has emerged between the US and Russia over Iran's participation in Syrian peace talks after US Secretary of State John Kerry told reporters that Iran can play an important role in resolving the Syrian crisis, but only as an informal participant at a press conference Monday.
The so-called Geneva-2 conference is meant as a follow-up to one held in June 2012, where world powers issued a call for a Syrian transition government.
- » Murders Leave Rohingya Camps Gripped by Fear
- » Turkey Says will Respond if US Imposes more Sanctions
- » More than 1,000 Google Workers Protest Censored China Search
- » On Way to Escape to Greece and Bulgaria, 154 People Detained in Edirne so far
- » More than 70 Fall ill in Suspected Mass Overdose near Yale University as Drug Deaths Hit Record High in US
- » At Least 37 Killed as Suicide Attacker targets School in Kabul