US Icebreaker to Rescue Stranded Russian Ship
A US icebreaker is the latest vessel to attempt to rescue a Russian vessel trapped in heavy Antarctic ice and a Chinese ship which went to its aid.
The Russian research ship Akademik Shokalskiy was blocked by ice on December 24. The passengers were rescued in a helicopter operation, which was launched after two attempts of approach by icebreakers failed due to poor weather.
During a rescue attempt, the Chinese icebreaker Snow Dragon (Xue Long) found itself stuck as well.
The scientists from several different nationalities were taking part in an expedition to commemorate the 100th anniversary of an Antarctic journey by Australian explorer Douglas Mawson.
ABC now reports that he Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) and the Chinese and Russian governments have requested the help of the US Coast Guard, which has agreed to make one of its largest ships, the Polar Star, available for the rescue mission.
The powerful US icebreaker has been en route to Antarctica since December 3 on a mission to clear a shipping channel for re-supply ships.
US Coast Guard Pacific area commander Vice Admiral Paul Zukunft is quoted in saying the vessel will cut short its planned visit to Sydney and leave today for the seven-day voyage to Commonwealth Bay.
The Polar Star has a crew of 140 people, a reinforced hull and a special bow which is specifically designed for open-water icebreaking.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Boris Johnson to Quit as PM?
- » Day 134 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Russian Missile Destroyed University in Kharkiv, Moscow Arrests one of its Top Generals
- » New Protest in North Macedonia, familiar Chants against Bulgaria
- » EU: Trust in Institutions continues to Fall despite declining Unemployment and phasing out of Pandemic Restrictions
- » The EC approved Bulgaria to Receive over BGN 32 Billion (EUR 16.4) for 7 years
- » Von der Leyen: Europe should prepare to Stop Gas Supplies from Russia