Bulgarians Honor Virgin Mary, Father's Day
Thursday, December 26 is a holiday reserved for the Mother of God, as well as the secular Father's Day in Bulgaria.
The day is also seen as the second day of Christmas, and is a national non-working day in Bulgaria.
The day after December 25, when main Christmas festivities are held, Bulgarian Orthodox Christians celebrate the Convention of the All-Holy Mother of God, during which they pay their veneration to Mary, who bore Jesus into the world.
Special services are called at which the faithful sing songs in praise and thankfulness to the mother of Christ.
The second day of Christmas, Christians also honor Joseph, Mary's husband, which gave the occasion for the date of the secular Father's Day in Bulgaria.
It was instated in 1997 by civic organizations, but has not yet gained much popularity.
According to the Catholic Church, Father's Day is the day of St. Joseph, March 19. In the USA, it is celebrated in the third Sunday of June.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 748 New Cases in the Last 24 hours
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 162 New Cases in the Last 24 hours
- » Bulgarian Border Guards rescued 38 Refugees in the Black Sea, including a Baby
- » Bulgaria’s Independence Day: No Lights for the Soviet Monuments and in Protest against Russia
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 539 New Cases in the Last 24 hours
- » Bulgaria Celebrates 114 Years of Independence