Ashton Witnesses Kiev Clashes, Impressed by Ukrainians' Firmness
EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton, who witnessed a night of scuffles in Kiev as police tried to dislodge protesters, said she has been impressed by the protesters' determination.
"I was among you on Maidan [Independence Square] in the evening and was impressed by determination of Ukrainians demonstrating for European perspective of the country," she said in a statement posted on Facebook.
"Some hours later I observe with sadness that police uses force to remove peaceful people from the centre of Kiev. The authorities didn't need to act under the coverage of night to engage with the society by using police."
Meanwhile US Secretary of State John Kerry also condemned the action late on Tuesday.
"The United States expresses its disgust with the decision of Ukrainian authorities to meet the peaceful protest in Kiev's Maidan Square with riot police, bulldozers, and batons, rather than with respect for democratic rights and human dignity," he said.
"This response is neither acceptable nor does it befit a democracy."
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » 20 Dead in Bus Crash with Pilgrims in Saudi Arabia
- » North Korea to increase production of 'Nuclear Weapons Material’
- » The Countries for Collective Purchase of Ammunition are Now 24 - Bulgaria is Not Among Them
- » Air Blockade in Israel until Netanyahu reverses Judicial Reform
- » Day 397 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Kyiv wants Emergency UN Meeting over Putin’s Nuclear Plans
- » After Joining Schengen: The Last Border Checks in Croatia have been Abolished