Bulgaria’s Dogan Dropped as Witness in Case against Attacker
Bulgarian politician Ahmed Dogan has been removed as witness in the trial against the man who pointed a gas gun at him earlier this year.
The former leader of liberal party Movement for Rights and Freedoms had asked to be removed as witness because of his ailing health.
The Sofia City Court decided to grant the victim’s wish after hearing a report on his health condition behind closed doors on Monday.
According to local media, the report said that Dogan is suffering from severe depression as a result of the incident.
On Monday, the court also ruled that MRF’s former vice-chairman, Hristo Biserov, should appear and testify as witness at the next hearing.
On January 19, police in Bulgaria detained 25-year-old Oktay Enimehmedov after he pointed a gun at Dogan as he was delivering his resignation speech at a party conference in the capital Sofia. No shots were fired.
The young ethnic Turk stated that he did not actually want to kill Dogan, but to scare him. The gun was established to have been a gas pistol.
It was initially believed that he would only face grave hooliganism charges. However, experts told the Sofia City Prosecutor's Office that gas pistol shots can cause death if fired at a range closer than one centimeter from the temple, mouth or eyes.
Enimehmedov was therefore indicted on attempted murder charges. He was also charged with "indecent actions that are grossly violating the public order and showing clear lack of respect for society."
Dogan has not shown up in public since the January 19 incident.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » A Bulgarian and 6 other People have been Detained for Preparing Terrorist Attacks in Belgium
- » Bulgaria: There is a Suspect for the Bomb Threats - Emails were sent to 102 Schools across the country
- » Bulgaria: Police Operation in Kazanlak
- » Bulgaria: 25 Migrants were Detained near Simeonovgrad
- » Bulgaria: 8 Illegal Migrants and their Driver were Detained in Sofia
- » A Bulgarian Woman close to the "Crypto Queen" Ruja Ignatova was Extradited to the US