EU Criticizes Russia's Position on Ukraine Agreement
The European Union has voiced Monday strong criticism regarding Russia's position on Ukraine's association agreement with the Union.
The President of the European Council Herman Van Rompuy and the President of the European Commission Jose Manuel Barroso issued a joint statement issued Monday, voicing disapproval of Russia exerting pressure on Ukraine on the issue.
"It is up to Ukraine to freely decide what kind of engagement they seek with the European Union. Ukrainian citizens have again shown these last few days that they fully understand and embrace the historic nature of the European association," they say in the statement, but stressed the association proposal was still on the table.
"The European Union will not force Ukraine, or any other partner, to choose between the European Union or any other regional entity. Stronger relations with the European Union do not come at the expense of relations between our Eastern partners and their other neighbors, such as Russia," the statement reads.
Ukraine made the decision on the EU deal last week, saying it could not afford to break ties with Moscow. Russia is trying to bring Kiev into its own customs union.
Several rallies in Kiev have been held over the last few days, but Sunday's has been the largest so far. Rallies have been reported also in the Black sea city of Odessa and other cities.
Outraged Ukrainians say they do not want their country to become Russian province again, and pledge to not give up with the rallies until they receive assurances about the European future of their country.
Demonstrators remain on Maydan square, heavily guarded by police. The opposition urges signing the association agreement with the EU and sacking Prime Minister Mykola Azarov and his government.
The signing had been set for November 29 in the Lithuanian capital Vilnius.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Estonia buys HIMARS from the US
- » The European Liberals declared for the simultaneous acceptance of Bulgaria, Romania and Croatia in Schengen
- » European Commission: Soon we will be able to Talk on the Phone and use the Internet during a Flight
- » Emmanuel Macron’s White House visit highlights Transatlantic Differences over China
- » Bulgaria’s Vice President: The Netherlands gave the best Christmas present to all Eurosceptics
- » Day 283 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Russians prepare for a Siege of Bakhmut