Germany, World Mark 24 Y since Fall of Berlin Wall
Germany celebrates Saturday the 24th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall and the end of the Communist regime.
The Wall turned into a symbol of the Cold War and the Iron Curtain - the ideological division of Europe.
The main event will be held at the "Berlin Wall" memorial on "Bernauer Strasse."
The anniversary will be marked with hundreds of candles to be lit along the wall in Berlin. The mayor of the German capital Klaus Wowereit will attend the liturgy, which will be held in the chapel, erected in memory of the victims who died trying to cross the wall to escape to the west.
Thirteen years and 45 000 concrete blocks were needed for the construction the Berlin Wall, which began in 1961. Around 200 people were killed while attempting to cross it over the years and over 5 000 East Germans manage to escape to the West.
The Wall was demolished on November 9, 1989, as a symbol of the complete failure of the Communist regime in Germany.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Referendum In Russia: Putin is Allowed To Remain President Until 2036
- » 50,000 New Cases of COVID-19 in US, Trump: I Fully Support the Masks. I Think They Work
- » New Zealand's Health Minister Resignes After Breaches of Lockdown Rules
- » UK Restarts Tourism on July 4
- » Covid-19: Infection in USA is Getting Worse
- » Another Black Man Killed by the Police in America Sparks New Wave of Protests