Bulgarian Social Workers Seize 'Roma Angel' Brothers, Sisters
Social workers will take over most of the brothers and sisters of Maria, the four-year-old Bulgarian Roma girl who made rounds in world media after being discovered in a Roma camp in Greece, authorities announced.
It is not yet clear how she she ended up in the Greek Roma camp near Larissa. According to some accounts, she was given by her parents, who already had multiple children and are leading poor lives, for care at the other Roma clan. According to others, Maria was sold.
The mother Sasha Ruseva and her husband have nine other children between the ages of two and 20 and live in dire poverty.
Local authorities have decided to accommodate four of the kids with foster families, two - at a state institution, and one will be placed with relatives of the family.
Two other children are over 18 and not subject to state protection.
Since the children won't be living with the couple, Sasha and Atanas will not be eligible for child allowances, which are currently thier sole incomes.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: Not a Single Case of Proven Link between Vaccine against COVID-19 and Death
- » Bulgarian Minister of Education proposes a Vacation from January 31 to February 6
- » Why More People Are Self-Educating Online
- » Bulgarians celebrate St. Athanasius Day
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Windy and cold with max. temperatures between 1°C and 6°C
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: Record - almost 10 000 new cases in the last 24 hours