472 Asylum Seekers Enter Bulgaria in 3 Days
A total of 472 asylum seekers have entered Bulgaria through its border with Turkey over the past 3 days, according to the Bulgarian Interior Ministry. ‘
343 of them are Syrian, the Ministry says.
Bulgaria has the capacity to accommodate about 5 000, while over 6 500 refugees have arrived in the country since the beginning of 2013, with local authorities expecting the number to exceed 11 000 by the end of the year.
The total capacity of 4 090 in the shelters under the authority of the Interior Ministry and the State Agency for Refugees has been exceeded by 551 beds.
Bulgaria is the gateway to the European Union for refugees fleeing Syria via Turkey, many crossing the border illegally to seek asylum.
The country has asked and will receive EU aid in order to deal with the ongoing refugee influx.
The fence that Bulgarian authorities are building over a section of the Bulgarian-Turkish border will be ready by February next year.
- » A Fire Affected about 1,000 Acres near Harmanli
- » Car Queues at the Border with Greece
- » Leonardo DiCaprio Donates $ 5 million for the Amazon Rainforest Fires
- » The EU Allocates € 100 Billion to the European Future Fund to Boost the European Business
- » A 2-Year-Old Child Was Attacked by a Tiger at a Thai Zoo
- » The Hotel in Which the Two Britons Who Died of Legionnaires' Disease Stayed, Is Being Checked