US Used British-Based Unit to Wiretap Merkel's Phone
America's National Security Agency (NSA) used a British spy base to wiretap phone calls of 35 world leaders, including that of German Chancellor Angela Merkel.
RAF Menwith Hill in North Yorkshire is the biggest surveillance and interception facility in Europe, according to reports of the Daily Mail, as cited by the Bulgarian Telegraph Agency.
At the eavesdropping site, which has 33 radomes to house satellite dishes, NSA experts process intercepted phone calls and electronic data from private individuals, government officials, and corporations.
On Saturday, Der Spiegel announced that the NSA may have been spying on Merkel's phone since 2002.
According to ITAR-TASS, all evidence indicates that the phone calls of the German leader were intercepted and decoded at a unit located on the territory of Britain.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » The Embassy of Azerbaijan in Iran Suspends its Work
- » Dozens Killed and Injured after an Explosion in a Pakistani Mosque
- » A Greek Fighter Jet has Crashed in the Ionian Sea, the Two Pilots are Missing
- » European Commission: EU Member States can Finance the Fence along the Bulgarian-Turkish Border Themselves
- » Day 341 of the Invasion of Ukraine: Putin Threatened Boris Johnson with a Missile (UPDATED)
- » Israel is making it easier to Own Guns and sends more Troops to the West Bank