US Used British-Based Unit to Wiretap Merkel's Phone
America's National Security Agency (NSA) used a British spy base to wiretap phone calls of 35 world leaders, including that of German Chancellor Angela Merkel.
RAF Menwith Hill in North Yorkshire is the biggest surveillance and interception facility in Europe, according to reports of the Daily Mail, as cited by the Bulgarian Telegraph Agency.
At the eavesdropping site, which has 33 radomes to house satellite dishes, NSA experts process intercepted phone calls and electronic data from private individuals, government officials, and corporations.
On Saturday, Der Spiegel announced that the NSA may have been spying on Merkel's phone since 2002.
According to ITAR-TASS, all evidence indicates that the phone calls of the German leader were intercepted and decoded at a unit located on the territory of Britain.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » The Future of EU: Stronger Common European Policy and Creation of European Army?
- » The Arctic: MEPs Call for Peace and Reduction of Tensions in the Region
- » MEPs Push for Common EU Cyber Defense Capabilities
- » Powerful Earthquake in Pakistan, Dozens of Deaths Reported
- » NATO Expels Russian Staff
- » European Parliament Opposes Mass Surveillance