Bulgarian Capital Has No Capacity For More Refugees - Mayor
Bulgaria's capital Sofia has no capacity to accommodate and take care for more Syrian refugees, the mayor has alarmed.
Speaking to the Bulgarian National Television (BNT), Yordanka Fandakova explained that the three functioning refugee camps in the capital have already exceeded their capacity.
She warned that once winter comes the municipality will have to provide additional services-public kitchens and shelters for the refugees.
“It would be hard for the refugees to find a job and accommodation immediately after they get a refugee status, which means that Sofia municipality should provide them aid during the winter. More public kitchens and accommodation centers should be opened,” stated the mayor.
Fandakova announced that she has asked the Social Ministry to provide additional working public kitchens and housing centers.
The refugee camp in Sofia's neighborhood Ovcha Kupel accommodates 1200 refugees, but its capacity has already been exceeded by 400 people.
Another 650 refugees have found shelter in the camp in “Military Ramp east” suburb and 400 more in the one in Vrazdebna.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » An Early Warning system for Disasters and Accidents is being developed in Bulgaria
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 60 New Cases in the Last 24 hours
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Sunny with Rain only in the Southwestern Regions
- » Earthquake in Bulgaria with a Magnitude above 4.5
- » Bulgaria: 44% Increase in Water Bills is expected in Sofia Region
- » A Bulgarian was found Stabbed in the center of Athens