Bulgaria's Top Judicial Body Fails to Elect Sofia City Prosecutor
Bulgaria’s top judicial body has failed to elect a chief prosecutor of the capital Sofia.
Three candidates – Vanya Ilieva and Boyko Atanassov from the Sofia City Prosecutor's Office and Rusi Alexiev from the Sofia Regional Prosecutor's Office – had applied for the job.
However, none of them succeeded in gathering the necessary 13 votes in the Supreme Judicial Council on Thursday.
The vacancy opened after the disciplinary dismissal of Nikolay Kokinov by the Supreme Judicial Council due to a scandalous wiretap leak.
On July 11, the Supreme Judicial Council dismissed Kokinov from the judicial system over leaked recordings of a wiretapped conversation between him, former Agriculture Minister Miroslav Naydenov, and former Prime Minister Boyko Borisov.
During the meeting, Borisov is informed by Kokinov about the results of probes by the prosecuting authority before they have been officially announced.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: What are the Versions about the Explosion at "Arsenal" Weapons Factory
- » Bulgaria: More Free Wi-Fi Zones in Sofia’s Parks
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: Nearly 1,000 New Cases in the Last 24 hours
- » Why Emigrating to Ireland from Elsewhere in the EU makes sense
- » The Court in Strasbourg: Bulgaria to Pay 109,000 Euros to the Roma expelled from Vojvodinovo
- » Bulgaria: Possibility of Secondary Explosion at “Arsenal” Weapons Factory, 2 Women are still Missing