Bulgaria's Dogan Calls In Sick, Postpones Trial against 'Failed Assassin'
The high-profile trial against Oktay Enimehmedov, the man who shocked Bulgaria by pointing a gas pistol at key politician Ahmed Dogan earlier in 2013, has once again failed to kick off.
Local media inform that the victim has called in sick once again, postponing the start of the trial for a second time.
The Sofia City Court postponed the first hearing in the trial back on August 14, as Dogan failed to show up in court. He later justified his absence with a sick note.
On January 19, police in Bulgaria detained 25-year-old Oktay Enimehmedov after he pointed a gun at Ahmed Dogan, then leader of the opposition predominantly ethnic Turkish party Movement for Rights and Freedoms (DPS) as he was delivering his resignation speech at a party conference in the capital Sofia. No shots were fired.
The young ethnic Turk stated that he did not actually want to kill Dogan, but to scare him. The gun was established to have been a gas pistol.
It was initially believed that he would only face grave hooliganism charges. However, experts told the Sofia City Prosecutor's Office that gas pistol shots can cause death if fired at a range closer than one centimeter from the temple, mouth or eyes.
Enimehmedov was therefore indicted on attempted murder charges. He was also charged with “indecent actions that are grossly violating the public order and showing clear lack of respect for society.”
Dogan has not shown up in public since the January 19 incident.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Bulgaria: 12 Migrants crammed into a Car were Detained in the Harmanlii village of Bulgarin
- » Bulgaria: A Man Killed his Wife and Daughter, then took His Own Life
- » Action in Bulgaria: Police Chase and Shooting near a Business Building in Sofia - A Boy was Killed
- » Bulgaria’s Interior Minister: There is Still No Suspect for the Murder of Alexei Petrov
- » Bulgaria: A Man Beat a Woman he lives with in Svishtov and Cut her Hair
- » Bulgarian Police caught a Large Group of Migrants near Kazichene