OSCE Urges Investigation into Arson Attack on Bulgarian Journalist's Car
The Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe has expressed concern about a suspected arson attack on a vehicle owned by Bulgarian television journalist Genka Shikerova, co-host of a popular morning show in the country.
“I urge the authorities to carry out a swift and transparent investigation and make its result public,” OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media, Dunja Mijatovic, has said in a statement.
“Prompt and transparent response is especially needed in this case as there is concern that this incident could be linked to Shikerova’s profession,” she declared.
“I also hope that the authorities will do their utmost to successfully investigate earlier cases of violence against journalists in Bulgaria that remain unsolved.”
Genka Shikerova, a long-time journalist at private TV channel bTV who currently co-hosts its morning broadcast "Tazi Sutrin", recently held several interviews with key Bulgarian politicians, asking them sharp and uneasy questions. Among those are the Socialist leader Sergey Stanishev, liberal Movement for Rights and Freedoms leader Lyutvi Mestan and the ex-regional development minister Liliyana Pavlova of the former GERB cabinet.
Shikerova’s car – a Peugeot 308 – parked in front of the journalist’s home in Sofia’s Geo Milev district - suddenly burst into flames half an hour after eight on Monday evening. The car burned down completely
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » BioNTech CEO: I think we will Need an Adapted Vaccine against COVID-19 because of Omicron
- » Bulgarian Dr. Argirova: Mutations occur in People who do not have Antibodies to COVID-19
- » Can Bulgaria impose Mandatory Vaccination for COVID-19
- » Skopje will Receive the Remains of its Citizens that Died in the Bus Crash on Struma Highway
- » EU Health Regulator is Launching a Review of a New Vaccine against COVID-19
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Increase in Clouds and Rain in the Afternoon. Temperatures: 10°C and 15°C