Barroso: Bulgaria Should Join Schengen ASAP
Bulgaria and Romania must be given the opportunity to join the Schengen zone ASAP, says the President of the European Commission, Jose Manuel Barroso.
He spoke Saturday in an interview for the Bulgarian public radio.
Commenting on Friday news that Great Britain will put an end to seasonal jobs for Bulgarians among other EU citizens, Barroso said free movement of people is one of the founding principles of the EU and should not be conditional.
He stressed he wanted Bulgarians to know the EC is siding with those who want a strong, united and open Europe, and pledged to do everything possible to not have different status for different Member States.
Regarding the three-months-long antigovernment protest rallies demanding the resignation of the Socialist-led cabinet of Prime Minister, Plamen Oresharski, the EC President noted Europe respects the democratic development of all countries, but underscored people must take into account the complex economic situation.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » EC is Preparing Criminal Proceedings against Bulgaria for Accessing Data from Criminal Record Certificates
- » The European Commission Started an Evaluation of the Bulgarian Recovery Plan
- » Nearly 60% of Bulgarians are Skeptical about Adopting the Euro
- » Bulgaria Is Late to Explain Its Position on N.Macedonia Says Diplomat
- » New German Government and Old Bulgarian "bad boy" Borissov
- » EC Opens Infringement Proceedings against 19 EU Member States, Including Bulgaria