Bulgarian Police Arrests 8 Suspected of Contract Killings
Svetlozar Lazarov, Chief Secretary of the Interior, has reported about eight people arrested in a specialized police operation in the western Bulgarian town of Pernik against a crime group involved in contract killings.
Lazarov, as cited by the Focus news agency, made clear Friday that the arrests were related to a number of dead bodies discovered in Pernik.
"We are looking for more dead bodies and other members of the crime ring. The suspects have been detained for 72 hours but no charges have been pressed," he stated.
The Chief Secretary of the Interior noted that the police expected to uncover more dead bodies on the entire territory of the country, not only in the Pernik region.
He said that the authorities were conducting exhumation of human remains.
"The group functioned in the period 2005 – 2010 and it was involved in contract killings, it conducted activity related to match-fixing, drug dealing and usury," Lazarov informed.
He added that the operation had been conducted by officials of the "National Police" Chief Directorate of the Interior and the Specialized Counter-Terrorism Squad under the supervision of the Specialized Prosecutor's Office.
Deputy Chief Prosecutor Borislav Sarafov told private TV station bTV that the Pernik-based crime group was unrelated to the recent arrests of 15 members of a crime ring believed to have organized assassinations, robberies and beatings.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » Begging and Prostitution are No Longer Crimes in Bulgaria
- » Bulgaria: 1-year-old Child is in Coma after being Beaten in Plovdiv
- » Bulgaria: Mother and Son were found Dead in Kyustendil
- » Bulgaria: A Municipal Councilor in Velingrad was Murdered (UPDATED)
- » Bulgaria: Two People Killed in a Fight between Families in Nova Zagora
- » The 15-year-old Bus Driver who Killed the Policemen may Receive up to 10 Years in Prison