Bulgarian President Urges Calm amid Fresh Tensions in Sofia
Bulgarian President Rosen Plevneliev has called upon all parties in Parliament to ensure stability and prevent their political confrontation from spreading into society.
Plevneliev told lawmakers to "clash with arguments, and not citizens", as they were discussing the veto imposed by him on a controversial budget update on Friday.
The President's statement came as tensions occurred between government supporters that were brought with chartered buses in Sofia on Friday and anti-government protesters in the capital.
Both the government supporters and the anti-government protesters have gathered near the Parliament in downtown Sofia. Police are making sure that no clashes erupt between the two groups.
"I call upon law enforcement authorities not to allow the peaceful actions and democratic messages of all protesters to be marred by provocations," the President declared in his statement.
- » BDZ will Buy 42 Trains for BGN 810 Million
- » Bulgarian Registry Agency Head Resigns
- » Bulgaria to Renovate Bridges after Italy Bridge Collapse
- » PM Borisov: I'm not Happy with the Chief of the Commercial Register
- » PM and Regional Development Minister Launch New Road Section Construction on Hemus Motorway
- » Bulgarian CPC Issues First Decisions Prohibiting Concentrations
president notes severe discrepancies and unexplained sums of money in socialist agenda, does the right thing in asking them to explain it before resubmitting, and then the "red thrash" say no, and ship in busloads of paid "protesters" to clash with the peaceful anti-govt protesters, and the "red thrash" like yourself claim it's all his fault???