Bulgaria's Media Watchdog Urges Media to Watch for Hate Speech
Bulgaria's Council for Electronic Media (SEM) has urged the journalists' union to keep distancing itself from hostile speech.
“We call upon the electronic media to adhere to the principles set in article 10 of the Law for the Radio and Television, according to which expressions of national, political, ethnic, religious or race intolerance should not be allowed.” SEM declared on its website on Tuesday.
The statement was made in regard to a number of intolerant, anti- Semitic and hostile statements which journalists happen to bypass silently instead of condemn.
The appeal was made after the outrageous rant of Bulgarian rapper Misho Shamara, who called Bulgaria's ex – Finance Minister Simeon Diankov a “Jewish vermin” during an interview for TV7, a local TV channel.
In an official statement, Misho Shamara apologized for his behavior.
We need your support so Novinite.com can keep delivering news and information about Bulgaria! Thank you!
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 305 New Cases in the Last 24 hours
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Sunny and Warm Today
- » Bulgaria: A Man and a 15-year-old Boy Died in a Car Accident in Vidin region
- » Bulgaria: For 3,5 Years a Family cannot Bury their Daughter as it owes 27,000 leva to the Hospital
- » COVID-19 in Bulgaria: 434 New Cases in the Last 24 hours
- » Weather in Bulgaria: Sunny until the End of the Week