Life of Latest Bulgarian Self-Immolator in Danger
The 38-year-old woman, who set herself on fire on Monday evening, is in critical condition and has been placed in an artificial coma.
The woman, who resorted to the drastic act for still undisclosed reasons, has suffered 85% of burns to her body.
On Monday evening, close to a restaurant in Sofia residential district Slatina, the woman poured himself with gas and flicked the lighter, turning into a burning bush, witnesses told reporters.
The terrified waiters from the nearby restaurant rushed to save her and managed to put out the flames.
The woman has been rushed to hospital and her life is out of danger.
This is the latest of a string of self-immolations that have shaken Bulgaria since the start of 2013, when large-scale protests against social and economic stagnation erupted.
At least eight people have died in Bulgaria this year after setting themselves on fire and tragically the wave of self-immolations seems not to be over yet.
- » Yellow Code for Snow and Icy Roads in Bulgaria
- » The Sky Will Remain Cloudy, with Light Rainfalls
- » Mostly Cloudy with Rain and Snow Today in Bulgaria, Highs between 2° and 7°C
- » Mostly Sunshine, Almost no Rain Today in Bulgaria
- » Variable Clouds Over the Country, Highs Between 2°C and 7°C
- » Cloudy Skies over East and Mountain Areas, Snow in Northeast Bulgaria