Life of Latest Bulgarian Self-Immolator in Danger
The 38-year-old woman, who set herself on fire on Monday evening, is in critical condition and has been placed in an artificial coma.
The woman, who resorted to the drastic act for still undisclosed reasons, has suffered 85% of burns to her body.
On Monday evening, close to a restaurant in Sofia residential district Slatina, the woman poured himself with gas and flicked the lighter, turning into a burning bush, witnesses told reporters.
The terrified waiters from the nearby restaurant rushed to save her and managed to put out the flames.
The woman has been rushed to hospital and her life is out of danger.
This is the latest of a string of self-immolations that have shaken Bulgaria since the start of 2013, when large-scale protests against social and economic stagnation erupted.
At least eight people have died in Bulgaria this year after setting themselves on fire and tragically the wave of self-immolations seems not to be over yet.
- » Mostly Sunny Today in Bulgaria, Highs between 16°C and 21°C
- » Variable Clouds to Sunny Spells over most of Bulgaria this Morning
- » Cloudy Day with Rain in Many Places in Bulgaria, Highs between 12-17°C
- » Considerable Cloudiness Across most of Bulgaria, Rain in some Places in the Afternoon
- » Wild Animals have Eaten Pelican Eggs in "Srebarna" Nature Reserve
- » Fake Sports Goods Detained at Varna West Port